Friday, February 24, 2012

Christ's Healing and Call To Follow

Already in the first chapter of Mark's Gospel, Jesus is healing many people.  Three healing miracles are described in detail: Jesus cures the demoniac, Jesus raises up Peter's mother-in-law, and Jesus cleanses the leper.    These three seemed to be grouped together because, in the narrative style, they seem to happen in quick succession, and because they are all given w/in chapter one.  However, we know there is another healing to be described in chapter two: the healing of the paralytic.  So I'm not sure why the first three are considered a grouping of three more than all four are considered a group of four.  (Given that we know the chapter divisions were added after the original writing.)

What I think is interesting is that before these accounts of healing, we are given an account of the calling of the first disciples.  Then, immediately following the healing stories, we are given an account of the calling of Levi.
I'll have to think on this (grouping and order of stories) further after I have digested each of these accounts.

Meanwhile, I want to note that I am very glad and grateful to know that Jesus retreated to "deserted places" for prayer and refreshment.  Even Jesus needed to keep Himself in close, constant, vital relationship w/ His Father in order to do God's Will.  The Father ministers to the Son so the Son can serve.  Any service I hope to do must be fruit of my life and sustenance in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment