Wednesday, November 6, 2013

One For All, All For One

USCCA Chapter 9
First, I need to review: 1) What are the GIFTS of the Spirit, and 2) What are the FRUITS of the Spirit, and 3) How do they relate?  [Also, do I know what Spirit Gifts the Lord has given me?]

GIFTS
Knowledge
Wisdom
Prophecy
Faith
Healing
Working Miracles
Discerning Spirits
Speaking in Tongues
Interpreting Tongues
(I Corinthians 12:7-11)


Knowledge
Wisdom
Understanding
Counsel
Fear of the Lord
Fortitude
Piety
(Catholic Catechism)


FRUITS
Love
Joy
Peace
Long-suffering
Kindness
Goodness
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Self-control
(Scripture)

Love
Joy
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Long-suffering
Mildness
Faith
Modesty
Continence
Chastity
(Catholic Catechism)

No wonder I'm confused!  Catholics and Protestants count and name them differently!

At any rate, I believe the relationship between the Gifts and the Fruits is this:  every Christian receives one or more Gifts and they are meant to be used in service to the whole Body of Christ; the fruits should be evident in every Christian, at least eventually, as they grow in Christ; i.e. the Spirit's Gifts produce the Fruits.

I believe I have been given the Gifts of Faith, Prophecy, and Discernment of Spirits.  (By Prophecy I mean that I can see where things are leading, I have long-distance spiritual vision; I don't mean the even more rare gift of foretelling the future.)  In Catholic terms, I think these would be Fear of the Lord, Counsel, and Wisdom; although, I'm not sure the definitions of each are exactly the same.  I'm just naming, according to the lists, which Gifts I believe I've been given.

Which of the Fruits does my life reveal?  Hmm... I think, by God's Grace, my life exhibits all of them from time to time, however, I definitely struggle with each of them at times as well!  Thanks be to God for His Grace!  Thanks be to the Lord for His long-suffering continence!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment