Thursday, October 3, 2013

Meeting God in Trust

Reading the USCCA by the USCCB, 2012.
Response to discussion questions from chapter two, "God comes to meet us":

God's generous self-revelation to me is the way God makes it possible for me to become more fully aware of my true self and of Him and of how I can respond to His initiated relationship.  It is much like the moon reflecting the light of the sun, or like a baby learning how to smile by gazing at her mother.

To say that we have a "revealed religion" means that our faith is a response to God's self revelation.  (Religion is the practice of our faith.)

Positive features of the American culture:
Founded on constitution that protects freedom of religion
Foundational principal of Freedom (and other human rights) for all persons
Freedom of movement
Relatively minimal government compared to other nations
Yet a significant Christian influence present (from foundational principals and current witness of genuine Christians)

Ways our culture needs to be converted or transformed by the Gospel:
We operate as a culture as if God doesn't exist; we need a renewed recognition of God and His Sovereignty.
We need to repent of our excesses: materialism, greed, gluttony, laziness...
We need to embrace our blessings as gifts to be shared, with each other, and with the rest of the world.

However, I must admit that I have my doubts any human government can sustain Christian values.  While it appears that a democratic form of government seems to be the best way to protect religious liberty, I think that in humanly ordered society the culture of death will always eventually over-take the culture of Life.  I believe it is only in The Church that we will experience a culture of Christ's Lordship.  And even in The Church, while we are yet in the world, while the world is yet under the influence of Satan (and his temporary dominion), we can't achieve such a "converted society" or "redeemed culture".  It is only when Christ has put everything under His Lordship that there will be a holy culture, i.e. the New Jerusalem.

I believe we are not called to be successful in anything; we are called to be faithful in everything.  It is only the Lord Who will make all things perfect and holy once again, by redeeming all in Christ.  Is is the redemptive work of Christ that will make all things Good/ New again.

What helps me to read and pray Scripture is to enter into "dialogue" with God (and hopefully sometimes with others).  This is why I blog!  I have no idea who might be interested in what I have to say on these matters.  But I put my thoughts "out there" in case my witness to God's working in my life might make a good difference in someone else's.

Re public policy?  I don't have a clue.  I am such a skeptic about most things "public" and all things "policy"!

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart.  Lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."  ~ Proverbs 3:5-6


No comments:

Post a Comment